Write & Beyond Magazine Advisors
Our Creative Team
Library Consultant, Entrepreneur, Poet, Writer
Writer, Gentle Grammar Nerd, Green Innovation Advocate, Entrepreneur
In the Beginning
In 2014, Kanchana Banerjee, a highly experienced freelance features writer and an online writing coach, started writing a novel. She had never thought of publishing any fiction before this, though she had been writing short stories all her life and never made them public.
Kiranjeet Chaturvedi, who had worked in market research for over a decade, was fascinated by stories she heard from consumers she worked with. In creative ideation workshops she conducted to tap into collective and individual dreams among consumers, she began to appreciate the psychology of creative expression of desires.
At a chance meeting, Kiran and Kanchana found themselves talking about their past work in the field of creative ideation and writing, and out of that conversation was born a workshop on creative writing that was open to anyone, not just writers or those with a background in literature. If you wanted to write, and were clueless about how to start and what to do, this was the beginners workshop for you. Write & Beyond has since grown from strength to strength, to include workshops, reading events, publishing and most importantly as a community of support.
Most significantly, Kanchana and Kiran have seen their own writing and life change as they built and worked with this community, with the author mentors and workshop participants. Kanchana then went on to bag a writing contract from Harper Collins India and is now a twice published writer with them. Kiran found her voice as a non-fiction writer for various publications, and also published short fiction and poetry.
Write & Beyond has been a catalyst for many a publishing debut, and other important creative and personal transformations for many of our members.
Besides our regular programs in the NCR we have hosted offsite residential retreats and have been invited to offer our workshops at colleges and literary festivals in different locations. In 2018 we ventured into publishing, and in 2019 the first Gurgaon Readers’ Fest was curated by us. 2020 has seen the creation of this website and the launch of the Write & Beyond Magazine. In the pipeline is an online version of the 2020 Gurgaon Readers’ Fest, more magazine content, new books, writing retreats and residencies for authors.
- Be a thoughtful, reflective space for passionate readers and writers who seek the company of open-minded others to share. thoughts on all things related to books, writing and reading.
- Be a source of support and mentoring to amateur writers, and to encourage commitment to personal creative growth.
- Be active in promoting literary culture through positive, mutually enriching and continuous interactions between writers and readers.
- To offer sustained, high quality mentoring for amateur writers through our many particular types of creative writing workshops, and workshop model of publishing.
- To build a notable list of books developed and published through our boutique publishing platform
- To host intimate readings and book-related events that engage our members deeply in the writing of the authors we work with, beyond short-lived sound byte and hashtag excitability.
Our Future Plans
- Regular events, courses and workshops, both online and offline
- New titles under our publishing imprint Write & Beyond books
- Rolling content for our online magazine
- Writers retreats and residencies
- Gurgaon Readers’ Fest